The Isle of Yeu : Jewel of the atlantic coast !
Explore & enjoy the charms of the wild coastline listed as a "natural site". The coastal path, which is currently being designated as a GR (Grande Randonnée) path, as well as the interior network, make the island a wonderful location for walkers. Use the sign-posted routes as your guide and take your time with a leisurely ramble.
Ile d'Yeu offers a wide range of sea-based activities: sailing, sea fishing, scuba diving, surfing, etc. As well as cultural event, gastronomy, sport & nature activities (hiking, biking), but also a large number of beaches for swimming or sunbathing. Ile d'Yeu for a long time was the leading tuna port on the Atlantic coast and fishing is still important here, with bass, monkfish, sole, turbot, sea bream, hake and various noble shellfish being unloaded at the docks of Port-Joinville.
Between Pointe du But and Pointe des Corbeaux on the southern part of the island, the landscape is dotted with many capes and points: The wild coast.
The coast becomes gentler after Pointe des Corbeaux with a series of beaches alongside dunes dominated by marine pines and holly oak forests. Nearby, a network of wetlands is home to many protected species of birds. Rocky outcrops break the succession of beaches between Marais Salé and Ker Châlon.
Island must-see destinations:
- Port-Joinville - Main village on the island and fishing port.
- Port de la Meule, a small fishing port with its chapel of Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle, which serves as a natural shelter for mariners.
- Fort de Pierre Levée - 19th century military fortress.
- The Pointe du But - North west point of the island with excellent views.
- The Grand Phare - 20th century lighthouse open to visitors from April to September.
- The Vieux Château - 14th century medieval fortress.
- The Pointe des Corbeaux - South east point of the island complete with an art deco style lighthouse.
- Saint Sauveur - Typical village with traditional island architecture.
A lovely day out at only 30min. Boat trip from Plein Sud! (Discounted Tickets on sale at the reception)